MVHS DECA Plants a Stake at State

Sophie Busse, Reporter

Over the dates of February 23rd to the 26th, 21 Mountain View High School students found themselves in Colorado Springs staying at a 5 star, 5 diamond resort—The Broadmoor. Here, students competed in the DECA state competition.

This business club is full of exciting opportunities like last months competition. Last semesters hard work culminated to this state competition. The assortment of students who came from Mountain View was a selection of students from every grade, spanning from freshmen to senior. Of the 21 students, 15 were returning students, leaving a remaining 6 to experience DECA state for the first time. One of these students was junior, Victoria Schulz who says, “I heard a lot about DECA from friends that went previously, overall I had such a great time experiencing everything the weekend had to offer.”

Some of the first year members’ favorite experiences came from Chapter traditions like eating at the famed Golden Bee. “You can always tell who was at DECA state if they have a bee sticker on the back of their phone. It’s a big tradition that everyone gets a sticker from the Golden Bee each year” says junior, Payton Ramsden.

However, the state competition is not the end of the DECA excitement for this year. The interview process for DECA officers for the 2019-2020 school year will begin soon, keeping members involved year round. DECA’s banquet will be next month to commemorate the club’s hard work this year and successful state competition.