The Cheer Season Begins

Cali Burrell, Reporter

The Cheer season is one of the longest seasons for any sport beginning with clinics in March and tryouts at the beginning of April. Mountain View’s Cheer team will begin their Summer season after tryouts. The team will also have a Fall, Winter, and Spring season as well. The Cheer team began the start of another dedicated season with the first clinic on Wednesday, March 6. Clinics are preparation for tryouts which give coaches a look at the athletes and the things that the team will have to focus on and improve throughout the season.

Not only does Mountain Views Cheer team support other sports teams at Mountain View and help get the student section to show lion pride at school events, they also compete at several competitions throughout the school year such as the State Spirit Competition. “The team begins work early in order to build up skills and get in as much practice as possible before school performances and competitions” said Gina Cannella, Head Coach. Starting work on routines and skills early can further the competition level the team will be at for State. This also will give the team the chance to make the second round of finals at State this year (2019). Practice and skill building beginning in March and State being in December gives the team 10 months to prepare and make their routine the best it could possibly be.

“Tryouts will take place after school from April 9 to the 12, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Teams will then be released via email on Saturday, April 13″ said Tessie Shields, Assistant Coach. Tryouts are a time for coaches to see athletes tumbling skills, stunting skills and how well they can grasp on to choreography. Girls and boys trying out have an opportunity to make the Competition team and/or Sideline team. 20 athletes will be chosen for the Competition team. Those 20 will automatically be on the Sideline team leaving room for six to eight more athletes who will only be on the Sideline team. Everyone at tryouts will have a fair shot at being on the Mountain View Cheer team. It’s all about a good attitude and being responsive to coaching! Show up with pep in your step and a smile on your face!

The Cheer Season Begins