Tik Tok Takes Over Teenagers Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tik Tok Takes Over Teenagers Lives

Noah Sutton, Sports Reporter

With the popularity rising amongst social media platforms over the past 10 years, it is no surprise that some of the young content creators have started to become recognized at school for their popularity on a variety of social platforms. One of the current largest social media platforms is an app called Tik Tok. Tik Tok was created in September of 2016 as an app for people to lip-sync to their favorite songs, create funny videos, political videos, or anything they can come up with and upload them. The app has become so popular with over 500 million downloads, that the app has birthed a new social group. Tik Tok has created a community, a way for people of any age, race, or gender, to express themselves and find other people who find humor in the same things. Also, the app can be used as a way to show political views, make a statement, or even show the darker sides of teenagers’ emotions that other social media platforms fail to reveal. Tik Tok is a more positive twist on social media compared to the bullying and darkness of other social media such as Snapchat, Instagram, etc. While most students don’t generally talk about other people’s social media at school, Tik Tok is an exception.

Students react to finding out their classmates are Tik Tok “famous” in many different ways. Some take it as an opportunity to make fun of other classmates while others think of it as perfectly normal. Mia Mcdonald, sophomore, had one of her videos blow up. She said, “I love Tik Tok: you can be super funny or creative with your videos. I usually see other people’s videos and get inspired by them and then I change them a little bit.”

Mcdonald’s most popular video on Tik Tok has an astonishing 1.3 million views and 250,000 likes. “Some kids like to make fun of me for it and think its funny, other kids think it’s kind of cool.” Mcdonald also said, “I think Tik Tok sometimes has a bad reputation, some kids look at you as weird and think you’re weird for posting videos like that.”

Another student who has experienced Tik Tok fame is Kylee Archuleta, junior, who published a video that got an amazing 850,000 views and 160,000 likes. Archuleta said, ”Well, my overall goal is to get rich, famous, and to drop out of school, even though that’s unrealistic. I think Tik Tok is more than just a lip-syncing platform, people can use the app to express their emotions and creativity, also they can use it to reach out to people and make friends.” Archuleta also said, ”One day I just made a funny video when I was bored and posted it, I didn’t expect it to blow up at all.”

Mcdonald and Archuleta are just two of the many Tik Tokkers who have reached this point of internet fame and are contributors to the popularity of the app. There are millions of accounts that exist and hundreds of thousands of people who have experienced this very similarly to Mcdonald and Archuleta. Not only has the app birthed its own social group, it’s influenced other groups of kids to have something in common and also acts as an outlet for teens to find somebody they can relate to. In an age of toxic social media outlets, Tik Tok truly acts as a positive alternative that can make teenagers laugh together, cry together, and think together.