Turkey Time

Aspen Essen, Student life reporter

Thanksgiving; a holiday associated with Pilgrims and Native Americans that now symbolize intercultural peace, America’s opportunity for newcomers, and the sanctity of home and family. Thanksgiving is a holiday that brings together family and friends and some people even travel thousands of miles to celebrate this holiday with their loved ones even if that means only seeing them for a short period of time. Not only does this holiday bring you closer to your loved ones for a day but it lets you stuff your mouth with wonderful food that makes your mouth water just thinking about it. With this thought in mind here are some Mountain View student’s favorite things about Thanksgiving.

From different family and friends, people everywhere come together to hang out together and eat loads of food. Reese Wheeler, sophomore says, “I celebrate with either my stepdad’s family or my whole dad’s side of the family.” “I go to my aunt’s house or my step-grandparents house.” Alex Pannone, junior says, “I usually celebrate with my entire family and play board games, eat, etc. This year though, there’s some family complications, but you already know I’m still gonna eat” and “This year, I am going back to South Dakota, where I used to live, and celebrating Thanksgiving with some old friends and my dad. Usually, we never travel. We leave that for the rest of the family.” Savannah Bramlett, junior says, “I always have two Thanksgiving dinners within a week because my parents are divorced, so like my dad, stepmom, and my stepmoms dad, and then with my mom, my brothers, my stepdad and his family,” and when I asked her if she goes anywhere special to celebrate her reply is, “My house, literally, just my house is where we celebrate.” For these three Mountain View students, they are either staying in Colorful Colorado or going all the way up to South Dakota. 

Everybody loves food but what’s even better is Thanksgiving dinner and dessert. Bramlett says, “cranberry sauce with turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy and green bean casserole cause that’s a tradition.” Bramlett also mentioned her favorite dessert was, “Pumpkin pie, because I make it every year homemade and it makes me happy. I’m not sure why but it does.” Alex says, “I don’t think I can choose my most favorite Thanksgiving food because, honestly, I like nearly all of it. The only thing I won’t be touching is yams. That’s a hard pass,” and when asked what dessert he replied with, “My favorite Thanksgiving dessert is, of course, pumpkin pie. I know, it’s the go-to dessert, but it’s so good! We’ll just say that it’s one of the main/best desserts for a reason!” Pumpkin pie seems to be the winner for favorite Thanksgiving dessert that’s for sure! 

There are some things during Thanksgiving that you can’t forget because its was way to special or funny to forget. Alex says, “My favorite Thanksgiving memory is when I was seven. My family and I were playing Wii bowling and it was my turn to bowl. I took the remote, and I was determined to get a strike. Instead, I threw the remote at my aunt, who then dropped her glass of red wine on the beige carpet!” Genna Stobbe, senior says, “My favorite Thanksgiving memory is when my whole family wore pajama pants because we all knew we were gonna eat way too much cholesteroni. Which is mac and cheese with corn and a lot of butter but, my mom forgot to make it.”  Reese says, “When my cousin from Alabama showed up to my aunt’s house and I didn’t know until she sneaked up behind me and scared me, but that was a wonderful memory since I hadn’t seen her for a couple of years.”