What the Hecka it’s DECA

Victoria Schulz

Back in November, DECA districts were held at the University of Northern Colorado. Mountain View, who is in District 7, competed in this competition which determines whether or not students qualify for DECA State, and this year, Mountain View’s chapter did amazing. 

DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America. It is an association for students that develops business and leadership skills through academic conferences and competitions. It is a great way to improve your business and communication skills, along with making new friends at each competition. Joining DECA is also an excellent way to help improve job and college applications, and it makes job interviews effortless. 

This year at Districts, DECA had 22 members compete at UNC. Out of those 22 members, seven qualified for state. Mountain View’s chapter had the third-highest amount of qualifiers, going up against Loveland with 82 members and Brighton with 118. Considering how many members DECA has, they did awesomely. Mountain View DECA is really showing quality over quantity. Now with seven qualifiers, Mountain View Deca will be heading to the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs to attend state in February. Mountain View will be competing against 5000 other schools, going for the gold to win a spot at Nationals. This year, Nationals will be held in Nashville Tennessee. 

Sophia Busse, state qualifier and DECA president said, “I’ve been a member of DECA since my freshman year of high school. My favorite part of DECA is being involved in a club that’s full of fun experiences and memories. The community is really great and opens a lot of doors for people.” 

Busse, Senior, also talked about what It’s like hearing your name get called as a state qualifier. “The anticipation during the district award ceremony is intense, but when you hear your name called as a state qualifier, there’s no better feeling. It leaves you feeling very accomplished and confident in yourself. I would definitely recommend DECA to students at Mountain View. It’s completely changed my high school experience for the better. I’ve learned so much because of it and it’s been a rewarding experience.”