Remembering where you came from

Tanner Kufeld, Professional Writer

Everybody thinks fondly of their time in elementary school. This year is a time of reflection for seniors. Especially with such an unusual and disappointing senior year, not many more fun school memories are coming our way; all we can do is take some time to remember the good times. 

Robby Latimer, Loveland High school senior was caught in a wave of sadness as he remembered how much happiness school used to bring him. Latimer is sad to be leaving his memories behind but glad to be leaving this strange last year behind.  He said, “elementary school was such a kind and friendly environment, it was hard not to love it.” He added, “I miss it, and when I graduate, I’m gonna miss high school too.” 

He began to reflect, “I went to CottenWood elementary school; my first teacher was Mrs. Markazono. Oh boy, I remember that I was super scared to go to school. I had never been away from home for a full day.” We can all relate to this feeling.

Latimer said, “when I got on the bus, I missed home immediately. For some reason, this kid I had never met before gave me dirty looks, so I returned them, and we hated each other. It was actually really funny; one day we ran into each other out front, and I asked him if he wanted to be friends. He said yes, and he ended up being my best friend for six years. There was no drama then.” 

Latimer then went on to talk about his many favorite memories starting from kindergarten. “One of my favorite memories from kindergarten was watching the little engine that could and drinking apple cider; this was right before Thanksgiving break,” said Latimer, “then for before Christmas break, we watched the polar express and drank hot cocoa.” The polar express is apart of almost every Thompson school district student’s childhood.

He continued, “the teacher gave us bells and told us that they were from Santa’s sleigh; I still have that bell, somewhere around here. The tradition of watching the polar express and drinking hot cocoa continued up until I left elementary school; it was something I looked forward to every year. 

Latimer said, “I dont remember much from 1st grade, but I do remember that we made gingerbread cookies before Christmas break one year, and my friend Al dropped his on the floor while we were lining up and waiting to leave for the day, and it shattered all over the place, it was so sad at the time. Now I can’t stop laughing, thinking about it.”

“In second grade, we always had storytime, and I loved storytime,” said Latimer, “but this was the year that they started doing popcorn reading.” Popcorn reading was an enemy of all students. “I hated it because I couldn’t read! My teacher also had this gross purple bathtub filled with pillows that you could sit in during the independent reading time. But you had to win it with good behavior; that thing was so gross I dont know how she got away with having it.” 

His memory got a little blurry after that. “I couldn’t tell you when precisely what grade these happened in, but they are still some incredible memories. One time in art class, we made didgeridoos. I remember going home and making my own better one, and then a few years later, I bought a real one. Now I love didgeridoos. Also, on the topic of electives, we can’t leave out the scooters and parachutes.” Any kid you ask will have fond memories of the parachutes that brought so much joy in P.E class. He added, “we always would race, and our gym had carpet, so we got gnarly carpet burns. Don’t get me started on the rope! I could never get up.”

Latimer said, “in music class, we had recorder karate, and I always use to pretend to play, and then as you get better at playing, you got different colored beads, kinda like the same system of belts in karate.” 

Latimer wanted to add, “Valentine’s Day was the best because you felt loved, and middle school then got rid of it, of course. I was always concerned that I needed to get the best candy and decorate my little valentine mailbox all nice. I felt so popular after I got the letters, it made you feel so good, it wasn’t about love it was about compliments.” 

He concluded by saying, “on the last day of 5th grade, I cried, I was so sad to go. The principal Mr. Patterson was the best principal I have ever had; I remember he would get dressed up as Superman and stand on the roof, and one time he got taped to the wall. Another time for a fundraiser, we all got to pie him. I was sad to say goodbye to those memories.” Every student was leaving some of the best times of their lives, and entering the unknown.