Stuffed with thanks

Maddie Bellmar, Reporter

It’s finally here! The super delicious turkey with mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, green bean casserole and that’s without mentioning the desserts. The holiday spirit radiates from the TV and the elf that stocks your life with all the new electronics. You’re thinking about Christmas right? Before we head there, it’s time that we give Thanksgiving the attention it deserves. It’s usually the skipped-over holiday, the one that’s forgotten – like the middle child (my apologies if you’re a middle child), so it’s important to remember what we’re thankful for and why Thanksgiving deserves to be celebrated and not forgotten. 

For students and teachers, a whole week is given as a fall break so that they can stuff their faces full of food and catch up on life. Sophomore Josie Taylor said, “I am going to catch up on work and life. You know, clean my room and decorate for Christmas. Then, hang out with my family.” Other people plan on simply relaxing and doing nothing over the break. Paxton Walker, a sophomore, said, “Not a whole lot. We are having a few people over for Thanksgiving, and then getting ready for Christmas.” Having people over for Thanksgiving tends to be the first part for people when celebrating.

Taylor said, “We all hang out with family and eat tons of food and that’s about it.” Food is the second part of celebrating Thanksgiving. Kara Wenger, a sophomore, said, “We just eat turkey and we always have sweet potato pie. We also go around the table saying what we’re grateful for.” Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks and showing gratitude for people and things in your life. Whether it be the shirt you always wear during church or for not being the middle child, Thanksgiving is when we show our appreciation. 

Matt Hall said, “I am grateful for my 230 students, even though I have so many, I love most of them, except the 1% that is the reason why I need a whole week off for thanksgiving.” All jokes aside, people are always thankful for the people in their lives that make it special. Walker said, “I am thankful for my family because they support me and always push me to be my best.” Taylor couldn’t agree more, “I am so grateful for my family and friends.” 

Being grateful isn’t the only part of Thanksgiving, food is a major part of it and usually consists of lots of dishes, both to clean and eat. You have your typical turkey and classic sides of mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing. Hall said his favorite food was turkey, “With turkey, you have leftovers. You have turkey sandwiches for the next week. Turkey enchiladas, turkey soup, turkey gizzards, the possibilities are endless.” Other people like to take more of a sides approach instead of the main course. Walker said, “My favorite Thanksgiving food is definitely mashed potatoes and gravy.”

Memories follow holidays around all the time. Everyone has memories of the Easter bunny coming or Santa bringing the doll you couldn’t stop talking about. For Thanksgiving, those memories are made around the table. Hall said, “We used to have Thanksgiving at my Great Aunt’s every year and she used to have these little ceramic turkeys that she would put little candy corns in and they were at every place-setting at the table.” Wenger said, “ My brother was really picky and he would only eat crescent rolls at the dinner table for thanksgiving.”

Even though each person and family has different traditions, the common theme of giving thanks and showing appreciation is known to most. It’s important to show the people in our lives who make the hard times better and the good times great, how much they truly mean to us. Walker said, “I am most thankful for all of my teachers that I have who support me and help me to achieve my academic goals.” The appreciation goes both ways. Hall said, “I am thankful for students that take things seriously, actually do their work, and care about our school.”