Concert for the Ages

Maddie Bellmar, Reporter

Middle school is an awkward stage for everyone. You start looking into new interests and trying new things-volleyball, track, acting, choir, band, etc. To be completely honest, most of the time the kids aren’t the best at these things. But all they need is a little inspiration and they are on their way to becoming the next greatest musician. Okay, not quite, but you get the idea. A very easy way to do this is holding a band concert with all different levels, which is what Mountain View Band did on Wednesday the 8th with two local K-8 schools: High Plains and Riverview. They showcased all different levels of band from 11-year-olds who had never performed before, to 18-year-olds who had played their instruments for upwards of nine years. 

Holding events like this benefits new band students and students that are just starting out. Bryce McRoy, a sophomore and saxophonist in various Mountain View bands said, “I feel like it gives them the confidence to keep pursuing music, and for them to play with a higher level ensemble gives them that boost and confidence.” More kids in a band, mean more people to inspire the next incoming group. Manuel Chacon, a sophomore and flutist in the Mountain View Concert Band said, “It can help prepare them for bigger concerts which in return inspires and keeps helping out the younger kids, like a domino effect.” Seeing different age levels coming together can inspire the whole community. 

Percussionist Chipper Banks said, “It’s good for parents to see their kids and the evolution that occurs between age levels, both older and younger. To see the progress and talent shown to the world is really important.” This creates a room filled with people who care about the students and their talent. Chacon said, “It brings people with the same interest together in the same place and allows us to help one another grow.” Creating a safe environment for band students and families to come together is essential in creating a flourishing community.

Being able to help out the younger kids makes high schoolers feel like role models. McRoy said, “It’s fun to interact and help and teach people that have the same passion as you.” Being able to feel like you are making a difference is an important concept to grasp. Chacon said, “It felt nice helping younger kids cause that used to be me being helped by high schoolers. It feels like I can make a difference in their lives.” 

There are lots of enjoyable parts of being able to help out younger kids. McRoy said, “It is amazing to see and play with people that look up to us not only as musicians but as people, just like this one saxophonist the other night, he was so excited and so passionate about the band.” Banks couldn’t agree more and even joked that some of the percussionists were better than the high schoolers. “It’s so crazy to see the raw talent that these kids have. It almost makes it seem like they are better than the high schoolers.” Chacon said that he saw himself in some of the kids. “It was nice to connect with people who were the same age as me when I started band. It felt nice to be a role model for these middle schoolers and it ended up being quite fun.” 

Whether or not you find your interests in middle school, having role models to look up to can help you find your way. With Mountain View hosting a combined concert with the surrounding K-8 schools, Riverview and High Plains, it has allowed for a sense of community to be created. As McRoy said, “It builds a sense of community and connection. This last year has been hard for everybody with COVID and everything so it is really heartwarming to see people coming together.”