Staying Organized: For Dummies

Bailey Vrem, Editor

Along with going to the gym and eating healthier, staying organized is high on the list of New Year’s resolutions. Starting the year off organized allows you to begin the year with new habits and new goals. It doesn’t have to be hard, just follow these few simple steps to stay organized!

It’s always good to start the year with a clean slate, and sometimes that means tackling those old papers shoved in a folder deep in your backpack. The first step is always to clear out things you don’t need from last semester. 

You can achieve this by going through and removing old tests, notes, and worksheets you no longer need for the new semester. Keeping a folder for all your old work is highly recommended, in case you need to access it in the future. 

Once you have cleared your backpack of any old work, you have already achieved a big step in staying organized! Don’t stop with just the papers, though, go through and get rid of any old trash, food, or waste that you have discarded in your backpack. 

After your bag has been properly cleaned out, start to think about the materials you will need for the semester. A homework folder will aid you in prioritizing your work and will help in not allowing your homework to get buried at the bottom. 

Having a paper folder, with loose leaf paper always comes in handy, in case you ever need to jot down some quick notes, or need to turn in an assignment. Notebooks work great for full-year courses where you will be taking notes very frequently. 

Planners aren’t for everybody, and that’s okay. Having a set plan for how you are going to get your homework done; however, is very beneficial. If you find yourself more technologically efficient, creating a note with a to-do list on your phone may be a more efficient option. 

These habits don’t need to happen in one night, they will take a few weeks if not longer to get in the routine of staying organized. If you are not normally an organized person, I recommend starting with one of these steps and trying to focus on repeating that habit. 

Another useful tip is to have a folder designated for returned papers. This will help you keep track of what papers you have received from your teachers, and you can later move those papers to an additional folder when it becomes too full. 

Now that you have hopefully attempted a homework folder and a returned papers folder, you should look into folders for all of your core classes. This is another level of organization that will allow you to keep vocabulary sheets, assignments, and worksheets in one spot, so you don’t have to dig through 40 papers. 

Organizing doesn’t have to be hard, you just have to do what you can, when you can. If you do little bits of organizing each day, it will allow your brain to develop a routine and you will become accustomed to it after a while. 

The final step to being a successfully organized individual is going in and creating checklists. Make a checklist with things you need to do during the day, and it will motivate you to get things done and cross them off your list. If you cannot accomplish all the goals, move them to the top of your list to start the new day until you have completed all of them. Good luck!