Mountain View Scores Some New Ambassadors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Kelly Evans

Photo by Kelly Evans

Photo by Kelly Evans

Photo by Kelly Evans

Kendall Millward

Mountain View has finally joined in with other schools around the nation and created a Model United Nations club. This is the first year Model UN has been at Mountain View and it already has become very popular. There are currently 15 members including Seniors Alyson Buckner and Adam Powell, who started the club, and Mrs. Evans–the teacher sponsor.

Model UN is “an opportunity for students to learn about the world and debate about it,” said Mrs. Evans. In this club students learn about countries and debate regarding political policy and international diplomacy, while in character for their country. The members wanted to start this club because they believe “students don’t have enough political awareness and this is a great way to expand their knowledge,” said Buckner.

Model UN is a great way to build comradery, put research to practice, learn about the world and build problem solving skills, all through fun competitions. Some of the future plans for Model UN are to host a conference at our school and to travel to a school that host competitions outside of our district. Buckner said she enjoys this club because “it pushes students to push their opinions outside their comfort zone and explore the real world.” And Junior Cassidy Bishop said she likes Model UN because “it is really fun and you get to meet people from other schools and you can put it on your college resume.”

Students have learned many things about politics and how other countries respond to chaos and problems and what the world is like through a new lens. Model UN meets during lunch on Fridays beginning after Thanksgiving Break in Mrs. Evans room. They are always looking for newcomers and encourage anyone with the taste for world knowledge to stop by.

• Mountain View Scores Some New Ambassadors

Student Life

Yearbook Committee Chaos

• Student Life

FBLA—The Club to Join

Student Life

The View

Student Life

Homecoming Assembly Slideshow

Student Life

Mrs. Money is Money

• Student Life

He’s a Stone Cold Number Crunching Machine

• Sports

Fall Sports Recap

Student Life

Yearbook Committee Chaos

• Student Life

FBLA—The Club to Join

• Sports

RaLeigh Basart – Our Three Sport Star