FBLA—The Club to Join

Sophie Busse, Reporter

The four years journey through high school–filled with homework, hardships, and a struggle to find your place. An overused adage often heard from high school veterans seems to be “Get involved.” But when students are faced with the task of finding a club perfect for them, the overwhelming process can lead them to refrain from joining any. Lack of information and understanding is a deterrent for new members, which is often the case for one of MVHS’s finest clubs, the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA.)

A club rooted in learning business skills, public speaking, and what life looks like inside the business world, it can seem daunting to unfamiliar students. However, while sitting in a lunch meeting (that the chapter holds twice a month) a close knit group of around thirty students is found. Peers who are passionate about business, travelling with friends, and making it to the state competition. When asking second year member Dominic Piccone, grade 11, how he would describe FBLA he said, “FBLA is a really dope club and it really helps you grow as a young professional, I finna win state this year.” Members choose an event to compete in focusing around multiple business essentials like marketing or finance; there is an event for everyone. 

One of the largest appeals of FBLA is the luxurious state competition held at the new Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center, in Aurora, CO. A four day weekend filled with activities, dances, ceremonies, and meet and greets. FBLA, however, is not only about the memories but also the fulfilling life skills that members obtain. Members like Marley Homandberg, grade 11, speak not only about how much fun they have had in the club but also how it provides an opportunity, “where members can build their confidence in public speaking, making things like job interviews less scary.” If  FLBA peaks your interest, membership packets can be picked up from Mr. Kaufhold in room F129.

FBLA—The Club to Join