Yearbook Committee Chaos

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yearbook Committee Chaos

Kendall Millward

At the end of the year, every student looks forward to getting our yearbooks and getting them signed by all their friends before summer break. For the most part, people keep yearbooks most of their lives, stored in the basement and covered in dust, until one day they decide to open it and relive high school. However, this book does not write itself; the time capsule of pictures and memories is a product of hard work and dedication by students and teachers. At Mountain View, Mr. Hall and the student staff work tirelessly to make the yearbook a reality.

Senior Erin Cochran is a student editor on the yearbook committee. She is in charge of creating and editing students pages. She said the hardest part is “meeting deadlines because it needs to be perfect and I am picky.” That is backed by Mr. Hall who runs yearbook and junior, RyLynn Nealy, who is a student on the committee. Nealy said, “The hardest part is making the pages interesting and finishing them with as little changes needed as possible.” However, they both agree that being on the yearbook committee is rewarding because they are able to make something for people to enjoy and look back on years later.

When asked about the strategies that staff members use to produce quality yearbook pages Nealy said “It’s important to work well with your  page partner. I think the main thing is being able to depend on each other with ideas.” Cochran said her strategies are “working with students and taking pictures as well as being sure to go the extra mile and attending events and taking pictures there.” Being on the yearbook is hard and a lot of work. Each person involved works hard to make every page special and include as many students as possible.

A big part of making the yearbook happen is the teacher who runs it–Mr. Hall. He said he chose to lead the yearbook staff because “I enjoy the interactions I get on a daily basis with smart students and because it keeps me engaged.” However, he said the role is stressful because of “deadlines, deadlines, deadlines” and “when kids don’t do what they need to.” But  the most rewarding part about making the yearbook is “when people come up and say the book looks really nice and having that validation goes a long way to offset a lot of stressful aspects of this job.”

The yearbook is an important part of the high school experience. And the best part is the students being able to “look back at the finished product and knowing it was worth the work” said Nealy. All 22 students are working hard all year to bring Mountain View the best book yet. So be sure to order one today at jostens.com!

Yearbook Committee Chaos