Fall Sports Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall Sports Recap

Lukas Arthur, Sports Editor

Mountain View Athletics faced a similar story throughout many of their sports. With a strong senior class in multiple sports, was good after one of the bigger classes in MVHS athletics in every sport graduating last year it was good for many sports to have that strong leadership leading that youth movement that Mountain View is about to go through.

Football

Story of the season for our Mountain View football team would be injuries. Struck hard in the first game of the season by losing Senior DE and the previous seasons sack leader Wes Evangelista for multiple games who never fully recovered from a broken fibula. Then, in week 4 the team lost Senior 2 way player Chad Baumann to a high ankle sprain for multiple games as well as Senior Bret Schroeder to a torn ACL in week 5.

But despite all of these hardships this team never gave up, saving the best for last in beating #3 Greeley West, in what Coach Mayes said, “Might be the greatest win in the Mountain View football history.” Led by Senior Josh Boles, anchoring the OL and DL he paved the way for RB Shane Rasico to score the winning touchdown in double OT again Greeley West.

“We were a tight knit group of seniors that would give anything to keep playing with each other.” said Senior Dylan Naughton.

Softball

The pride and joy of Mountain View athletics the past few years would be the Lady Lions softball team. After winning state in 2017, the softball team brought themselves back into the conversation with a late season run all the way to the State Championship game, before losing to Holy Family.

Senior 2nd Basemen Morgan Jewell said, “Those last 4 games, we all left our hearts out on the field.” And that was the story of the season for these girls, to just keep playing—one more game, one more inning, one more pitch. After big seasons from Seniors Kamryn Leoffler, Jaelyn Taylor, Michelle Pomranka and Jewell, be on the lookout next season for key contributors from this season to step-up and take over, such as Juniors Nya Chacon and Nicole Rodgers as well as Sophomore phenom pitcher Bailey Carlson.

Tennis

A small but productive team, with only 5 players on the team, this years Boys Tennis team really fought hard. “It was a fun year.” said Junior Cooper Frederick and that was it was for a team without any seniors, but a strong junior class, led by regionals participate Erik Cooper. Look for big things from this team next year.

Golf

In another young team for the Mountain View Mountain Lions, this team was able to jump over expectations led by Juniors Gavin McWhorter and Drew Visocky, both state qualifiers. A team with five freshman to only one senior, expectations weren’t very high for this young team going into the season. But the team played well down the stretch and will have high expectations with both of their top players coming back for their senior year next year.

Volleyball

The young team led by Senior libero Rylee Severin and Junior Calli Wilson fought through a slow start to the season before they were able to pull off big wins against Centaurus and Northridge, sweeping them both on the season series. Wilson led the team in kills with 151, while Severin had almost twice as many digs as the next with 240. This was a young team with limited returning players, but they improved throughout the season, and will be looking to build off of that improvement after only graduating 3 seniors in Megan Hurr, Taylor Lenhart and the previously mentioned Rylee Severin.

Cross Country

A happy surprise for the Lion runners this fall was Freshman Jackson Shorten, running a team best 16.34 and was the first male state qualifier in 2 years. On the female side, Senior Taylor Petty ran the best time with a 19.38 and once again qualified for state backing up last year’s state qualification. For most of these runners their year isn’t over yet, with track season coming up in the spring they will get another opportunity compete against many of the same runners.

Fall Sports Recap