Winter Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Preview

Lukas Arthur, Sports Editor

Boy’s Basketball

A year that will be remembered of what not to do before the season even starts. With 3 players suspended 2 games for vaping on school grounds, and 4 more ineligible due to their poor grades—the Lions got off to a rough start this winter. But after getting Shane Shadowen and Alex Hurr back after two games the Lions won two straight games over Skyview and Berthoud. Senior Guard Marcus Carey says that even after the slow start, “I expect us to have a successful season and make the playoffs.” Basketball is a long season, with 23 games, and teams can afford to get off to a slow start and still make a run to the playoffs, which is exactly what the lions plan to do.

Girl’s Basketball

A team with only one senior usually doesn’t have very high expectations going into the season. But these Lions are different. Their Senior player is 4 year starter, Raleigh Basart. They also have her little sister Kelsey Bart coming back too, as a sophomore. Harley Duke also looks to contribute a lot this winter for the Lady Lions. Basart says, “I look forward to playing my last season of high school ball to be one for the record books.” With a chance to have a great season Basart hopes that they can get into the gym together over break and continue to grow together and learn what each and every one of them does great on the court.

Wrestling

There is something a little out of the norm for Lions Wrestling this season—there isn’t a Barker on the mat for them this year, or a single Senior. These Lions look to be really young and relying on Junior Malachi Contreras to win a lot of duels and earn these lions a lot of their points. Malachi himself expects a big season for himself and has high expectations for the team. Contreras says, “I think that it is possible for myself to become a State Champion this year and that’s where I kind off set my goal.” Along with Contreras, the Lions’ top returners are Jordan Gilbert and Mason Vigil, who both look to have a pretty good shot at being state qualifiers.

Swimming

A team looking to grow together this year more than in years past plans to lean on leadership from Tessa Christensen and Tasha Reichhardt, both are Seniors in the pool this winter. Christensen says, “We can have some success from this team if we just focus and relax in the pool.” Christensen and Reichhardt look to get some help from Juniors Abby O’Donnell as well Taygen Lane. A team looking to grow together and become a family hopes to have a lot of success in the lanes.

Winter Preview