The Juice

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Juice

Lukas Arthur, Sports Editor

Quiet and humble—two words that always come to mind when asked about Senior, 2 sport athlete, Josiah Baptista. Normally a safety for the football team, breaking into the scene as an every-down starter and all conference player as a sophomore. While he continued to stand out as a safety and leading tackler his junior year, it was his senior season that set him apart in the long list of Mountain View athletes. The First-Team All Conference player lead the defense in tackles and interceptions and lead the offense in touchdowns and receiving yards.

While he has had multiple spectacular moments on the gridiron, from the blocked punt his junior year or his 3 touchdown game this season vs Longmont, his favorite memory as a Mountain Lion was upsetting #2 ranked Greeley West. The team has always come first for this young man, and he acknowledged some of the people that have helped him the most throughout his path at Mountain View. “Coach McMahon and Coach Sample have been really big influences on me and have really helped me continue to compete” 

This winter, Baptista has become the Lions’ basketball team’s leading scorer and rebounder, which is especially impressive considering he has not played basketball since his sophomore year at Liberty Commons High School in Fort Collins. Do not try to tell him how great he is because this humble and hardworking athlete will only push himself further, which sets an example as a leader and an athlete for the younger classes.

Having Josiah come out for the basketball team has been revolutionary for the team this winter, after missing the first tournament he came out in the Spartan Classic at Berthoud and scored 15, 13 and 25 leading the Lions to a share of the tournament championship. Adding a post-athlete like Baptista has been huge for the Lions, who have lacked in size in the past and have always struggled to dominate on the boards, which is exactly what Baptista does.

I’ve been a teammate of “Juice’s” for 4 years and there isn’t anyone more humble then Josiah. Arguably one of the best athlete this school has seen in recent years, but the best part is that it isn’t even over for him, as the Lions basketball team just started league play and hope that the addition of Josiah this winter will be what they need to set them over that hump in the playoffs come February.